Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I've got all this Gear, now where do I put it?

Shannon asks: How do you store all of your belly dance costuming and accessories? 


Hobbiest's and Pro's alike invest a lot of money into their costuming and accessories.  It's important that we store them in a way that protects that investment!  I am not sure how other dancers store their stuff, but here is a peek into my methods.

Skirts are rolled up and stored in a plastic tote.  They shouldn't be hung up--circle skirts will lose their shape and get sagging hems, and 10/25 yard tiered skirts are so heavy they could develop holes from the weight of the skirt pulling against the stitching.    
I hang pants, tie tops and difficult hip adornments in the closet.  I classify fringe belts (long OR short), tassle belts, coin scarves and bustles as difficult hip adornments:  anything that can get tangled up with itself and has fabric.


Then comes the accessories!
I have a bunch of plastic drawers that I got at Walmart and have filled them up with my goodies.  Like:

Hair Doodgies

Coin Belts/Bras
(notice the ziplock bags keep them separated and untangled)
 


Delicate pieces get their own drawer.

Bras
Bracelets and Bangles (I love these... obviously)

Rings

Bindis  
 And MORE! 


I drape veils over a hook organizer on the back of a door.  This can sometimes put a wrinkle in the middle of your veil (I use mine often so I don't worry as much).  You can also roll up your veils and store them anywhere if you don't want to hang them. 

 I keep cabaret costumes in a plastic tote.  I was advised against using an airtight container so air can circulate around your costume after a sweaty performance! 






Finally, In my bathroom I store nail polish, make up and I always have loads of fake eyelashes on hand.  


So, that's how I do things.  I tend to fill up the nooks and crannies with all sorts of stuff like spare zils and random pieces of fabric.  What suggestions do you have for storing your belly dance gear?

No comments:

Post a Comment